Job Opportunity | Residential Building Inspector | O’Fallon, Mo
The City of O’Fallon, MO is looking to hire a Residential Building Inspector. Are you looking for a position where you’ll use and build on your knowledge of building and mechanical codes and construction practices? Our Residential Building Inspectors earn competitive salaries from $49,795.20 to $68,660.80. Your first year you can expect to make a starting salary of $49,795.20 to $58,219.20. We also offer excellent benefits including health, vision, dental, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, a retirement pension, a 401 (a) plan, 11 holidays, 1 personal holiday, vacation time, paid sick time, a deferred compensation plan, employee assistance, tuition assistance, optional identity theft insurance, and a discounted fitness membership.
A DAY IN THE LIFE AS A RESIDENTIAL BUILDING INSPECTOR
As part of our Building Department, you will be responsible for the plan review and inspection of new and renovated residential construction projects and occupancy of rental dwelling units within the city of O’Fallon. Generally, your schedule will be daytime hours Monday through Friday.
Other duties and responsibilities include:
- Performing plan reviews for code compliance and issuing permits for residential structures.
- Conducting inspections of new residential construction projects to verify compliance with building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, energy, and zoning codes.
- Completing rental occupancy inspections, providing insight and issuing permits.
- Inspecting existing structures for health and life safety minimum standards.
- Assisting both external and internal customers, city residents, architects, contractors and others in the interpretation and application of relevant codes and ordinances.
- Receiving and responding to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments regarding alleged violations; interviewing complainant and witnesses, conducting investigations and providing recommendations for resolutions.
- Preparing a variety of written reports and correspondence.
- Preparing evidence in support of legal action taken by the city, appearing and testifying in court as needed.
- Assisting with snow removal seasonally.
We’re looking for someone who is comfortable working in all aspects of building construction practices with knowledge of relevant zoning, nuisance abatement, property maintenance, building, and health and safety codes. This person should be someone who can be relied upon to attend meetings when needed and serve as a resource for other city departments, the general public, and external agencies.
Could this be the opportunity for you? We look for employees who:
- Exhibit self-motivation by always looking for ways to improve their knowledge and skills
- Show great respect for others and their property
- Maintain their assigned vehicles and equipment with care
- Have great oral and written communication skills
- Get great satisfaction from contributing to what makes O’Fallon such a great place to live!
- 1 – 3 years previous Building / Code Enforcement experience.
- Knowledge of relevant building, mechanical, plumbing, fuel gas, electric, and energy conservation codes.
- Knowledge of building construction practices and terminology.
- Knowledge of relevant zoning, nuisance abatement, property maintenance, building, and health and safety codes
- The ability to withstand weather conditions such as heat, cold, rain, snow, etc.
ABOUT THE CITY OF O’FALLON
Join the team that keeps O’Fallon as “One of America’s Best Places to Live” (Money, 2019) and one of America’s Safest Cities (Safewise.com 2019).
O’Fallon, Missouri, has grown from small, rural roots into a thriving City that is home to international employers and more than 1,800 local businesses. With more than 89,000 residents, O’Fallon is now the second largest City in the St. Louis Metro Area, and the City has become a driving force in the region’s economy. Working for the City allows you to be part of it all with great benefits, competitive pay and a positive work environment. Apply today and join the team at one of the country’s best cities!
If you feel that you would be right for this position in O’Fallon, Missouri, please fill out our application at https://ofallon.applicantpro.com/jobs/1872609.html. We look forward to meeting you!