Job Opportunity | CODE ENFORCEMENT INSPECTOR | St. Charles County MO
CODE ENFORCEMENT INSPECTOR
BUILDING AND CODE ENFORCEMENT
Starting Salary: $39,466.89 per year
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position which includes a full range of benefits including Paid Time Off, Extended Medical Leave, Holidays, Employee Health, Dental, Life, Disability, Retirement, and Tuition
JOB DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this position is to inspect existing residential and non-residential structures and properties to ensure existing properties and structures are in compliance with applicable county codes to ensure public health, safety, welfare, and quality of life. The work is performed under the supervision of the Division Director – Building and Code Enforcement.
• Responsible for inspecting existing residential and non-residential buildings, structures, and properties, for compliance with applicable county ordinances and other related regulations. This involves driving an assigned County vehicle daily.
• Receives violation complaints. Establishes priority for inspections of such complaints.
• Verifies location and type of complaint. Researches records, maps, and other sources to establish actual ownership and occupant of property if different from owner.
• Develops a daily inspection route to establish the most effective use of field time based on priority and most cost-effective use of county resources.
• Investigates site to determine validity of the complaint.
• Researches, coordinates, and determines the appropriate code section of any violations identified and prepares proper “notice of violation.”
• Contacts complainant and/or violator and recommends potential solutions to violations.
• Provides assistance to citizens regarding county policy and procedures and applicable ordinances and/or regulations.
• Creates a record of the information obtained from his/her investigation on the complaint form and returns to clerical staff for processing.
• Coordinates inspections with other County departments/divisions and or other outside governmental and/or private agencies.
• Issues summons for non-complaint properties.
• Appears and testifies as needed in court.
• Maintains an accurate record for vehicle maintenance and mileage.
• Maintains knowledge of current applicable codes, ordinances, division policy and procedures, for enforcement/prosecution process.
• Attends periodic training to maintain and improve technical proficiency and expand knowledge of codes, ordinances, policy and procedures for proper handling of violations and enforcement activity.
• Assists and prepares reports for other county departments.
• Assists clerical personnel with ordinance interpretation.
• Researches deeds.
• Performs general office duties including answering telephone calls, emails, prepares correspondence and assists clerical staff when needed and/or assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent, vocational/technical training in plumbing, building technology, construction or related field, five years inspection/code enforcement experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
· A valid motor vehicle operator’s license required.
· Shall be certified by the International Code Council as a Property Maintenance & Housing Inspector or
obtain such certification within one year of employment.
• Employment is contingent on successfully passing a full criminal background check.
TO APPLY: All applications must be submitted only through our Self-Service Website at http://hr.sccmo.org/hr. We do not accept faxed, e-mailed or print applications.
Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until the position is filled or a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied.
St. Charles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. St. Charles County is a drug and alcohol-free workplace. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions.