Job Opportunity | Building Inspector | Creve Coeur MO
CITY OF CREVE COEUR
TITLE: Building Inspector (Commercial or Residential, Depending on Qualifications)
FULL SALARY RANGE: Commercial Building Inspector – $51,744 – $72,408 (Starting Salary DOQ)
Residential Building Inspector – $45,768- $64,032 (Starting Salary DOQ)
GRADE: 09 – Residential 10 – Commercial
DEPARTMENT / DIVISION: Community Development Department / Building Division
SUPERVISOR: Chief Building Official
The City of Creve Coeur Building Division is seeking a building inspector to join our team. Depending on qualifications of the candidate, this position will be filled as a Commercial Building Inspector or a Residential Building Inspector. This is a full-time, benefit-eligible position offering a competitive benefits package which includes a defined benefit retirement plan with Missouri Local Government Employee Retirement System (LAGERS).
The successful candidate at the Commercial Building Inspector level, will primarily be responsible for inspecting commercial construction sites along with residential construction sites and property maintenance enforcement as needed. The successful candidate at the Residential Building Inspector level will primarily be responsible for inspecting residential construction sites and assisting with code enforcement and apartment re-occupancy inspections. Either position will respond to complaints from the public, enforce zoning ordinances, maintain accurate records, compile reports and provide proper notification for unauthorized construction in order to ensure that all construction and zoning activities are in compliance with City ordinances for the City of Creve Coeur.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS FOR EITHER POSITION:
- Inspects construction sites for compliance with the city building code; drives to sites; and measures structural components, inspects fire resistance rated construction, inspects firestopping and fireblocking; inspects all aspects of the means of egress, etc. to ensure compliance with city-approved plans and building code requirements in order to ensure safe and lawful construction for the City of Creve Coeur.
- Inspects construction sites for compliance with the city’s stormwater management ordinance.
- Inspects apartment dwelling units for compliance with the city’s property maintenance code and apartment re-occupancy program. This includes inspecting an apartment dwelling unit’s mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Responds to property maintenance code complaints from the general public; investigates complaints; sends violation notices as needed; and informs complainants of action being taken in order to prevent property maintenance code violations for the City of Creve Coeur.
- Provides proper notification for unauthorized construction work by posting a stop work order where the unauthorized work is taking place. Ensures said property owner obtains the necessary permits in order to gain compliance with the building and zoning codes of the City of Creve Coeur.
- Confers with property owners, contractors, architects, engineers and the general public in the field and office; explain and interpret building code requirements and restrictions.
- Demonstrates a commitment to his/her public duty and presents oneself as a credible and knowledgeable representative of the city to maintain public trust by following the principals of “Our Commitments to Character-Driven Professionalism”; builds and maintains positive relationships while serving all internal and external customers using effective communication and teambuilding skills; seeks to actively listen and provides prompt assistance to others; equally treats others with dignity and respect; problem-solves; accepts responsibility for self and work product.
To be considered at the Commercial Building
Inspector level, the successful candidate must possess a high school diploma or
equivalent and have three or more years of increasingly responsible equivalent
or related experience in performing commercial municipal building code inspections
or have direct experience in the commercial construction industry.
To be considered at the Residential Building Inspector level, the successful candidate must possess a high school diploma or equivalent and have three or more years of increasingly responsible equivalent or related experience in performing property maintenance and/or residential municipal building code inspections or have direct experience in the residential construction industry. Must possess Residential Building Inspector Certification from the ICC or be able to obtain within one (1) year of employment.
The candidate shall have a valid driver’s license, proof of current vehicle insurance and reliable vehicle transportation. Able to read and understand blueprints and other construction documents. Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others. Can effectively organize and prioritize work. Communicates clearly both verbally and in writing. Able to work independently. Remains calm when dealing with disgruntled contractors and residents. Uses information to solve problems and make effective decisions. Can manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Able to work outside in varying weather conditions. Able to drive to different construction sites. Able to walk, stoop, bend and climb as needed to survey sites. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision and ability to focus.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, references and completed application to Human Resources Generalist, City of Creve Coeur, 300 N. New Ballas Rd., Creve Coeur, MO 63141. Application are available online or can be downloaded from the City website at www.creve-coeur.org/jobs. First review of applications begins October 18, 2019 and continues until filled.