Job Opportunity | Plans Examiner | Clayton MO
Department: Planning & Development
Employment Type: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: N
Salary Range (Annual): $62,552 – $86,322 (Starting Range: $63,000 – $73,968)
This position is open until filled with first review of applications slated for Friday, January 22, 2021.
The City of Clayton Planning & Development Department is seeking applicants for the position of Plans Examiner. The City of Clayton is proud to provide world class service levels to a community which values the contributions of the professional team. Comprised of approximately 185 full-time and over 200 part-time and seasonal employees, the average full-time employee tenure is over ten years!
The City of Clayton offers a generous benefit package for full-time employees including health, dental, vision, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, voluntary insurance plans, a retirement pension, a 457(b) retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance program, free recreation center membership, 10 paid holidays, 2 personal holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave, community service leave, and much more!
The City’s Planning & Development Department’s Mission is “To assist Clayton in achieving its vision for the future by providing knowledgeable, professional and responsive service.” The Department is divided into two interrelated divisions: Planning & Zoning and Building. The Planning & Zoning Division is primarily responsible for providing professional planning and zoning related services in order to promote responsible growth and to ensure the City remains a sustainable, well-designed and prosperous community within a business-friendly environment. The Building Division is primarily responsible for ensuring structures are built and maintained in conformance with building codes, approved plans and permits, and are safe for occupancy. The duties of each division overlap and often reflect different stages in an overall development process.
The Plans Examiner position is primarily responsible for reviewing and examining commercial and residential building plans and specifications to ensure compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and state and federal regulations. This position also reviews permit applications and supporting documents for accuracy and completeness, document deficiencies and facilitates meetings with stakeholders to discuss code related issues. Work of the Plans Examiner includes, but is not limited to:
- Reviews and evaluates proposed building plans and specification blueprints to ensure that proposed construction complies with building, plumbing, mechanical, environmental, flood hazard, design, energy, and other related codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Explains, interprets and provides guidance regarding applicable codes to architects, engineers, contractors, developers, owners and other interested parties. Answers questions from architects, builders, and the public regarding building codes.
- Advises owners and contractors on the provisions of the codes and ordinances governing construction and on modifications necessary to meet requirements.
- Computes square footage, valuation, an permit fees for approved permits. Applies valuations and merit costs for new projects based on codes, regulations and policies.
Minimum Qualifications of the Plans Examiner Position:
- One year post high-school education in a building trades program
- Must have a minimum of seven (7) years’ construction experience or seven (7) years as a building inspector, or five (5) years Plans Examiner experience, or any education/experience combination thereof.
Equal Opportunity Employer
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Successful candidates for the position will be required to successfully complete additional screening including, but not limited to the following: Background investigation, driver license check, employment and reference checks, pre-employment physical and drug screening.