Job Opportunity – Planning/Permit Technician | Brentwood, MO
Position Title: Planning/Permit Technician
Department: Planning and Development
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Planning and Development
Under direction, performs administrative and secretarial work for the Department of Planning & Development, the Planning and Zoning Commission, Board ofAdjustment and Architectural Review Board. Processes requests for City business licenses and maintains related records. Performs a variety of tasks related to the issuance of City permits including building permits, sign permits, zoning inquiries, and scheduling and recording of building inspections. Assists the Director of Planning and D
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hours: Full-time 40 hour position
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties, responsibilities and expectations are not necessarily limited to the following, and are not enumerated in any particular order or priority. At any particular time the frequency or duration with which one or more of the following specific duties is performed may vary widely.
- City business licensing responsibilities
- Determine applicant qualifications and ensure the application meets all requirements of the city’s municipal code.
- Coordinate with Planning and Development department and ensure other departments have processed their specific portions of the application and provide quality assurance.
- Maintain licensing database.
- Process license renewal invoices within two weeks of submission.
- Serve as initial city contact for all business license applicants and assist them in their application process.
- Guide applications through all city department processing requirements.
- Process applications and issue city business licenses.
- Monitor city business activity to ensure businesses are following licensing requirements as outlined in the city municipal code.
- Apply periodic auditing procedures of license data.
- Develops daily inspection schedules for Building Inspectors.
- Communicates with inspectors, contractors, permit applicants and other interested parties with regards to scheduling and permit issues.
- Composes and prepares various correspondences. Gathers data and compiles a variety of narrative and statistical reports for submission or analysis.
- Processes results of inspections, including data entry in the MyGov permit tracking system.
- Maintains department databases and manages related documentation for tracking and reporting on all services delivered by the Planning and Development Department to compile the department’s annual performance measures
- Provides extensive customer service to department and city customers and visitors in person and by phone; acquires and maintains adequate knowledge of all city departments to assist callers and visitors in meaningful ways; often handles complaints and concerns without assistance from others.
- Performspermit related responsibilities such as issuance, payment receipt, tracking, scanning/saving, address file creation, permit, and inspection data entry.
- Provides administrative support to Director of Planning & Development/Assistant city administrator and Building Official, as well as other P&D staff; assists with special projects; serves as notary for the City; tracks inventory and maintains sufficient supplies for Department; maintains permits, handouts
andbrochures for public use.
- Schedules, coordinates, supports and facilitates administrative functions for boards and committees including scheduling meetings, processing development applications and assisting with notices and staff reports.
- Serves as Planning & ZoningCommission Secretary. Prepares packets for attendees. Prepares and updated schedules. Transcribes minutes for the planning & Zoning Commission; disseminates information to the public as directed.
- Performs accounts payable/accounts receivable functions, deposits funds, tracks construction escrow, and prepares monthly escrow settlement for Finance Department.
- Designs and updates department
materialsand publications, assistswith permit and inspection document preparation.
- Takes direction from the
BuildingOfficialduring the absence of the Director, Planning andDevelopment.
- Performs other job-related duties
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of computers and standard office equipment and practices
- Proficient in MS Office suite of applications including Access database, Excel and Word
- Knowledge of MyGov Building Permit, Code Enforcement, Contractor’s Registration
andBusiness License tracking modules
- Knowledge of accounts payable and cash transactions
- Knowledge of city operations, rules
andregulations required within six months of dateof hire
- Must possess excellent typing, grammar and spelling skills
- Must possess strong attention to detail
- Must possess a pleasant personal demeanor and courtesy in receptionist duties
- Ability to manage several tasks concurrently, moving quickly from one task to another
- Ability to work under general supervision and proceed alone on regular duties
- Ability to manage phone system operation and a
quantityof incoming calls Abilitytoperform a variety of secretarial duties including arithmetic computations Abilitytotranscribe dictation accurately Abilitytoread and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos Abilitytowrite complex,and technical correspondence Abilitytoeffectively present information in one-on-one situations to the generalpublicand fellow employees Abilitytoperform effectively with multiple interruptions and distractions withoutlosingfocus on exceptional customer service Abilitytodiplomatically and tactfully deal with irate or upset customers and visitors
Minimum Requirements – Education, Certification, and Experience
Highschoolgraduate or GED equivalent.
- Must achieve certification as a Permit Technician through the International code council (ICC), or be able to obtain certification within one (1) year of employment.
- Minimum of three years administrative support experience with emphasis in
customerservice. Additionalexperiencemay be substituted for education beyond high school level.
Preferred Qualifications – Education, Certification, and Experience
- Associates Degree
Physical Work Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is consistently required to talk or hear
- The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or controls
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an all-inclusive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for the position.
I have read and understand the duties and responsibilities of the job for which I am applying. I can meet these requirements with or without reasonable accommodations.
Name (Print) _____________________________________ Position _______________________________
Signature __________________________________________________ Date _______________________