Job Opportunity | FIRE INSPECTOR | Monarch Fire Protection District
The Monarch Fire Protection District covers a geographic area of almost 63 square miles and services
more than 60,000 people who live in all or part of Ballwin, Chesterfield, Clarkson Valley, Creve Coeur,
Maryland Heights, Wildwood and unincorporated St. Louis County. The area is made up of residential,
commercial and industrial properties to include Chesterfield Airport, Chesterfield Valley Shopping
Center, Chesterfield Mall and numerous subdivisions and business/industrial complexes.
The District operates 5 Engine Houses, a Maintenance Center, an Administration Facility and a Training
Tower, and has a staff that is made up of more than 120 Firefighter/Paramedics, Fire Inspection
Specialists, Officers and Administrative Personnel. Monarch supports the St. Louis Regional Heavy
Rescue Task Force, the Monarch Haz-Mat Team, the Urban Search and Rescue Team, and the Homeland
Security Department with the Strike Force 3 Urban Search and Heavy Rescue Vehicle.
The Monarch Fire Protection District is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill an upcoming Fire
Inspector position for the District. The position is responsible for inspecting and reviewing buildings and
equipment to detect fire hazards, and enforces local ordinance and state laws.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Conducts comprehensive, technical inspections of buildings and property to verify that exits, fire
protection equipment and systems, building construction, interior finishes and decorations, and
occupant load conform with applicable fire and safety laws, regulations, and standards.
• Conducts comprehensive inspections of businesses that handle, process, transport, or store
hazardous materials to ensure compliance with applicable fire and safety laws, regulations, and
• Explains and interprets provisions of fire codes to building owners, managers, and employers.
• Discusses conditions and recommends safe methods of storing flammables or other hazardous
• Informs owner or manager of conditions requiring correction, such as faulty wiring.
• Issues permits to attest to safe operating conditions.
• Prepares report of violations or unsafe conditions.
• Issues summons for fire hazards not corrected on subsequent inspection and enforces code when
owner refuses to cooperate.
• Checks engineering and construction plans of commercial, industrial, and other designated
structures to evaluate layout, construction, and inclusion of required fire protection systems and
• Checks plans, construction, and use of underground storage tanks for compliance with fire and
• Conducts inspections and acceptance tests for fire protection equipment, automatic fire sprinkler
systems, fire alarm systems, and similar devices.
• Provides technical advice to contractors, architects, engineers, and developers on sprinkler
systems, storage systems, hazardous materials, and related fire code issues.
• Reviews and approves plans, issues permits, and conducts inspections of special events such as
exhibits, fairs, conventions, concerts, and carnivals.
• Keeps file of inspection records and prepares reports of activities.
• Collects fees for permits and licenses.
• Responsible for the safe operation of a department vehicle.
Qualified candidates must possess a Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university in a related field; or five years’ experience in construction management, commercial construction inspection, or commercial plan review; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience researching and applying current ICC and NFPA codes and standards. Candidates must also have their Certified Fire Investigator (IFSAC, NBFSPQ or IAAI) and Certified Fire Inspector (IFSCA, NBFSPQ or ICC) within 1 year of employment, and obtain at least two of the following three certifications within 2 years of employment: ICC Fire Inspector I, Fire Inspector II and Fire Plans Examiner.
Monarch has a very competitive benefits package which includes:
• Premium-free medical, dental, vision, Life, AD&D, and LTD coverage
• Employee paid STD, critical illness, cancer, additional term life, and accident coverage
• Retirement and Pension program
• Paid vacation, sick, and holidays
Apply for the above position through the MFPD website and follow the steps below:
- Under the Careers tab, click on Careers Registration
- Register with our career page
- Upload your resume in either PDF or Word format and click “submit resume”.