Job Opportunity | Development Services Manager | City of Peculiar, Mo
Job Title: Development Services Manager
Reports to: City Administrator
FSLA Status: Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $50,00- $65,000 DOE
The City of Peculiar, Missouri is a Fourth-Class City with a population of 5,139
The City of Peculiar is accepting applications for the position of Development Services Manager. This position reports directly to the City Administrator. The primary duties of the position are to interpret and enforce the City’s Zoning Regulations, review applications for residential and commercial building permits, oversees annexations, update the Comprehensive Plan, and oversee the enforcement of the adopted Building and Property Maintenance Code. This position will also host, provide administrative support, and research for the Planning Commission and attend Board of Aldermen meetings. A background and understanding of Zoning Regulations, the inspection process of Single-Family Dwellings and familiarity with Homeowner Associations is highly desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interpret and enforce the City’s Zoning Regulations
- Oversees Annexations
- Update the City Comprehensive Plan
- Host, provide administrative support and research for the Planning Commission and attend Board of Aldermen meetings
- Reviews submitted construction plans for compliance with all relevant codes, regulations, and ordinances.
- Recommends and implements changes to the policies and procedures for plan reviews for the effective and efficient operation of the plan review process.
- Review construction permit applications to ensure completeness and compliance with submittal requirements.
- Prepare correspondence to architects, engineers, developers, and contractors about plan reviews for code compliance and design issues.
- Interact with the public and design professionals about the permit review and approval process.
- Maintain records of the plan review process.
- Issue Building and Construction Permits.
- Interacts with and advises builders and citizens on their individual building and code requirements.
- Conducts building, plumbing and electrical inspections of new and remodeled structures to ensure compliance with city code.
- Issues code violation notices and tickets, maintains files and records of violations, issues tickets to violators and oversees cleanup, mowing and demolition as needed.
- Prepares and organizes files of permits and violations issued.
- Interprets and enforces the City’s building and property maintenance codes.
- Works closely with the public to handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Certificates and Licenses:
IRC (International Residential Code) Certification from ICC (International Code Council) to preform Building, Electrical and Plumbing Inspections.
Bachelor’s degree (B. A. / B. S.) in Urban Planning and or Construction Management or a closely related field from a four-year college or university is desirable.
Minimum three years.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write notices and letters of compliance. Ability to make persuasive presentations on controversial codes topics to top management, citizens, and/or public boards.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as building or lot areas, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of building and property codes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software; spreadsheet software; design software and internet software.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- Works with minimal supervision
- Ability to multi-task
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Subject to pre-employment, random, post-accident, and for-cause drug testing
- Pre-employment screening may also include comprehensive background check, criminal history check, driving record, and physical.
- 100% Employer Paid Missouri LAGERS L6 Retirement Fund
- 7.5 hrs of PTO earned per pay period
- 90% employer paid medical for employee and 75% employer paid medical for dependents.
- Vision Insurance- 100% employer paid for employee and 75% employer paid for dependents
- Dental Insurance-100% employer paid for employee and 75% employer paid for dependents
- 100% employer paid short term disability
- 100% employer paid $15K life insurance policy (additional elective life insurance available)
- 457b retirement option
The City of Peculiar is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job posting closing date: Open until filled
City of Peculiar
Human Resources Manager
Email- [email protected]
or mail to:
City of Peculiar
250 S Main St.
Peculiar, MO 64078