Job Opportunity | CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER | City of O’Fallon MO
07-Jan-2022 to 04-Feb-2022
Building & Code Enforcement O’Fallon, MO, USA $20.95/hr – $24.50/hr DOE/Q Hourly Full Time
This position is primarily responsible for the enforcement of city codes and ordinances; maintaining compliance with City codes/ordinances; and, addressing citizen concerns relating to public nuisance and zoning-related issues.
- Conducts and coordinates all code enforcement activity to address public nuisance violations (recorded through both field observation and citizen/council member complaint).
- Conducts on-site inspections of existing institutional, industrial, commercial and residential properties to verify compliance with city ordinances and property maintenance standards.
- Inspects existing structures for health and life safety minimum standards.
- Assists external and internal customers, city residents, and others in the interpretation and application of relevant codes and ordinances.
- Conducts field investigations; inspects properties for violations; contacts property owner to resolve violations; issues and posts warning notices; schedules and performs follow-up activities to gain compliance.
- Receives and responds to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments regarding alleged violations; interviews complainant and witnesses; conducts investigations and provides recommendations for resolutions.
- Conducts enforcement of illegal signage that is placed in the City on the weekends.
- Locates vacant residencies and businesses; secures buildings with proper materials; posts property as appropriate; checks vacant buildings for transient activity, graffiti, and vandalism; researches bank ownership.
- Patrols assigned areas to identify and evaluate ordinance violations.
- Prepares evidence in support of legal action taken by the city; appears and testifies in court as needed.
- Conducts neighborhood sweeps of all properties in the City a minimum of every 2 years.
- Performs after-hours inspections during emergencies (on-call).
- Completes rental occupancy inspections and minor building inspections when directed.
- Assists in snow removal operations.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge Required by the Position
- Knowledge of relevant zoning, nuisance abatement, property maintenance, building, and health and safety codes.
- Knowledge of municipal code enforcement principles and practices.
- Knowledge of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports. Skill in dealing with difficult situations and angry people
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/ internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Missouri for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain within one (1) year of hire, and in accordance with Division policy, the International Code Council (ICC) certification for Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector.
- Knowledge and level of competency related to Microsoft office programs, database entry and mobile devices. Ability to obtain Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) clearance through local jurisdiction.
You may apply online at Job Listings – City of O’Fallon Jobs (applicantpro.com)
The City of O’Fallon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify