Job Opportunity – Code Compliance Officer | City of Wentzville
Code Compliance Inspector
Essential & Ancillary Job DutiesEssential Job Duties
• Conduct field inspections and investigations, including biannual property inspections.
• Perform routine inspections of city buildings, including the Police Department, City Hall, Utility Service Center, Water Treatment Plant, and Public Works Building, to identify property maintenance issues.
• Maintain accurate documentation and generate timely reports.
• Receive, respond, and investigate complaints regarding potential code violations in a timely and professional manner.
• Provide notice to residents to correct violations and give appropriate time to attain compliance prior to taking further action.
• Verify compliance with appropriate follow-up inspections.
• Respond to requests from Community Development Director or Senior Planner regarding land use and zoning related code compliance matters, including notices to correct and follow up to obtain compliance.
• Assist the Building division via inspections for fence permits and other miscellaneous permits as directed.
Ancillary Job Duties
• Communicate with residents regarding questions and concerns via phone call or email.
• Enter information into INCODE recordkeeping system.
• Provide guidance and training to other department employees as needed.
• Perform other related duties as assigned
Job Qualifications & Knowledge, Skills and AbilitiesJob Qualifications
Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
• High school diploma or equivalent required. Two-year college degree preferred.
• Minimum of 1 year training or work experience in code enforcement.
• ICC Property Maintenance Certification required within 12 months of employment.
• Valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and basic office equipment/machines.
• Ability to operate office equipment such as copier, fax, telephone system, and computer.
• Clear verbal and written communication skills and ability to give and follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to work independently and make responsible decisions.
• Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
Work Environment & Physical AbilitiesWork Environment
Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
• General office conditions.
• External job sites, including outdoor work areas.
• Exposed to moderate noise levels.
• Exposed to some loud noise when on location for inspections, including traffic noise.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to drive to and from inspections and throughout city neighborhoods.
- Must be able to walk to perform inspections.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination to work on computer, telephone, and related office equipment.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus and distinguish colors.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.