Job Opportunity | Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer | Ashland MO
Job Title: Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer
Pay Grade: B2 ($47,341-$53,123) Permanent Full Time
Job Description Summary
Review construction plans for compliance with federal, state, and local codes, regulations and ordinances. Administer the City’s permitting process by reviewing applications and answering customer inquiries. Perform residential and commercial building inspections.
Supervisor: Works under the general guidance of the City Administrator.
Essential Job Functions
- Review submitted construction plans for compliance with all relevant codes, regulations and ordinances.
- Draft letters to construction professionals relaying comments and concerns on reviewed construction plans.
- Review construction permit applications to ensure completeness and compliance.
- Consult with engineers, architects, developers and contractors to review plans for potential compliance issues and design flaws.
- Review zoning applications for residential, industrial and commercial properties.
- Perform a variety of building inspection tasks, including, but not limited to: Setbacks, Silt Fence, Sewer Tap/Backflow, Driveway, Sidewalk, Yards, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing.
Ancillary Job Functions
- Maintain appropriate records for plan reviews and permit applications; prepare reports for relevant review boards and commissions as necessary.
- Serve as a customer service representative for the division by answering inquiries concerning permitting, zoning, and plan compliance with codes, regulations and ordinances.
- Perform administrative work for the division as required.
- Assisting other City departments with engineering/construction related concerns.
- Act as liaison to the City’s Planning & Zoning Commission.
- Attend Planning & Zoning Commission meetings.
- Attend Board of Aldermen meetings as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience – An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Civil Engineer, Construction Management or related field required.
- Minimum three years of experience in construction plan reviewing/building inspection or in a relevant construction field.
- Minimum 2 ICC Certifications or ability to obtain within 1 year
- An equivalent combination of education and experience necessary to perform the essential job functions is acceptable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position
- Thorough knowledge of construction and land use methods, materials, techniques and planning.
- Must be able to read and understand a variety of construction plans and blueprints.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment when ensuring codes and legal regulations.
- Strong written and oral communication plans to consult with construction professionals to convey compliance concerns and recommendations and to compose related reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to successfully develop positive intergovernmental and private sector relationships.
- Strong sense of professionalism to calmly represent the City when addressing complaints and difficult customers.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job
- A combination general office and construction site conditions.
- May be required to work outside or drive in inclement weather.
- Exposed to moderate to very loud noise levels at construction sites.
Physical Abilities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
- Required to use close vision and be able to focus.
- Regularly required to talk, listen, stand, and occasionally drive to complete construction plan reviews.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination to work on computer, telephone, and related office equipment.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
Supervision Exercised None. However, the employee is expected to give guidance and assistance to division support staff and site inspectors.
Driving Must possess a valid driver’s license and maintain an excellent driving record.
If selected for hire, the appointment in this position will be conditional based upon a satisfactory background check. A background check encompasses criminal history, verifying education, and verifying dates of employment.