Job Opportunity | Multi-Disciplinary Building Inspector | City of Brentwood MO
Position Title: Multi-Disciplinary Building Inspector I/II
Department: Planning and Development Department
Pay Range: Starting Salary Range $46,837 – $54,220
This is an hourly, full-time, 40 hour per week position which includes a full range of benefits including paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, employee health, dental, life, vision and LAGERS retirement.
Job Description: This position is responsible for inspecting buildings under construction, alteration, repair, or change of occupancy to ensure conformity with city building codes. Work also involves reviewing plans to ensure code compliance and taking appropriate enforcement actions. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed in accordance with established standards and objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts on-site inspections of new institutional, industrial, commercial and residential construction projects to verify compliance with building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, zoning, and engineering codes, as well as with city ordinances and property maintenance standards
- Inspects existing properties for rental occupancies and new business licenses
- Inspects existing structures for health and life safety minimum standards
- Assists external and internal customers, city residents, architects, engineers and others in the interpretation and application of relevant codes and ordinances
- Conducts field investigations; inspects properties for violations; contacts property owner to resolve violations; issues and posts warning notices; schedules and performs follow-up activities to gain compliance
- Receives and responds to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments regarding alleged violations; interviews complainant and witnesses; conducts investigations and provides recommendations for resolutions
- Provides proactive code enforcement by patrolling assigned areas to identify and evaluate ordinance violations
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct fire prevention inspections and review and approve fire alarm and fire protection systems.
- Occasional attendance required at Municipal Court or City Board/Committee Meetings
- Performs related duties as assigned
Minimum Requirements: Education, Certification, and Experience
- Graduation from a general or technical high school
- Considerable experience in construction or building inspection work
- ICC Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector
- College level course work in building inspections
- ICC Residential Building or Commercial Building Inspector
- ICC Residential Plans or Building Plans Examiner
- 3-5 years’ experience in conducting building inspections and code enforcement
TO APPLY: For a full job description, visit www.brentwoodmo.org. Please submit resume and cover letter to City of Brentwood Human Resources, 2348 S. Brentwood Blvd., Brentwood, MO 63144. For questions, please contact Jason Kotz at [email protected]. Position open until filled.