Job Opportunity – Building and Zoning Official| Indianola, Iowa
Building and Zoning Official
Posting Date: 12/10/18
The City of Indianola is currently welcoming applications for the position of Building and Zoning Official.
The City of Indianola (pop. 14,278) is a growing community with a historic downtown, located approximately 15 minutes south of Des Moines. It is a safe community with Midwestern values, friendly people and excellent schools. Indianola, which is home to Simpson College, the world-renowned Des Moines Metro Opera and the National Balloon Museum and U.S. Ballooning Hall of Fame, is known for its excellent access to outdoor activities, a nice trail system, five major parks, and two golf courses. The community welcomes thousands of visitors annually who come to Indianola to enjoy major events such as the National Balloon Classic, Bike Night, the Warren County Fair and other events.
This position is responsible for a number of tasks, including, but not limited to:
▪ Ensures the enforcement of Federal, State and local ordinances and codes related to commercial and residential construction, zoning administration and fire protection through building inspection, permit issuance, plan check
▪ Resolves difficult and complex building and code compliance problems, meeting with developers, contractors, architects, engineers
▪ Conducts and provides coordination of the building inspection process and code enforcement process.
For a full job description, please visit the City’s website at http://indianolaiowa.gov/jobs.aspx
The successful candidate will have:
▪ A high school diploma or GED. ▪ Three (3) years experience in building construction including electrical, mechanical and plumbing work or any combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skill, and abilities.
▪ Certification by a recognized organization (I.C.B.O or I.C.C desired) as a building plans examiner, inspector and building official for a variety of municipal plumbing, mechanical, electrical, zoning and building codes, or the ability to obtain certifications within eighteen (18) months of employment.
The salary range for this position is $26.72/hour – $34.41/hour. The City offers an excellent benefits package. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer drug screening and background
Applications may be downloaded at http://indianolaiowa.gov/jobs.aspx.
The City of Indianola is an Equal Opportunity Employer.