Floodplain Management and Construction Requirements | WEBINAR | February 25, 2021 @ 9a.m. – 12 p.m.
Floodplain Management and Construction Requirements and the Effects on NFIP Flood Insurance
Length: 3 Hours
Participants of this course will learn the basics of floodplain management and the Construction codes that apply when building in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
This course will provide an in-depth look into how the Elevation Certificate (FEMA form 086-0-33) is utilized by the Insurance Industry to rate a property’s flood risk for NFIP Flood Insurance. In addition, it will explain how a local municipality can use the form to enforce their Floodplain Management Ordinance and check floodplain compliance. At the end of the course, participants will have a better understanding of how the Elevation Certificate should be completed, correctly, and more accurately, which will improve their resident’s flood insurance premiums and ensure a flood resilient structure is built. Case studies will be used to illustrate what flood loss preventive solutions are available and how to identify possible solutions using the Elevation Certificate that can dramatically lower an owner’s NFIP premium. FEMA’s Technical Bulletin 1 Wet Floodproofing and Technical Bulletin 3 Dry Floodproofing techniques will be reviewed along with International Code Council Construction Code and ASCE 24-14 standards.
• Review the Biggert-Waters and Homeowners Flood Insurance Affordability Act, who is it affecting, what changes are taking place, and how is Elevation Certificate demand rising as a result.
• Mitigation options Wet and Dry Floodproofing techniques and what codes apply.
• Explain how the NFIP rates the flood risk for a property using the Elevation Certificate. We will identify what sections of the Elevation Certificate are most critical when rating risk. During this section, we will play the role of a Floodplain Manager to understand how they will be using the Elevation Certificate to ensure compliance with their Floodplain Ordinance.
• Completing the Elevation Certificate accurately with a review of how to choose the right Building Diagram using Section C and examples. How to document flood vents with a review of compliant vs. non-compliant openings and FEMA’s Technical Bulletin 1. Examples of incorrectly completed Elevation Certificates will be used to illustrate completeness and compliance.
• Utilizing actual case studies participants will be educated on how to review an Elevation Certificate and identify flood mitigation solutions that can bring a property into NFIP compliance and the effects it will have on the NFIP premium.
This is an online event and the instructions will be sent to you the day befor the meeting.
COST: Seminar Fee single day: MABOI: $25
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: (per day)
- Permit Technicians (CEU’s—.3)
- Building Inspectors (CEU’s—.3)
- Plans Examiners (CEU’s—.3)
- Code Officials (CEU’s—.3)
- Architects (CEU’s –3.0 AIA HSW)