Department: Planning & Development
Employment Type: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: N
Salary Range (Annual): $62,552 – $86,322 (Starting Range: $63,000 – $73,968)
This position is open until filled with first review of applications slated for Monday, May 3, 2021.
The City of Clayton Planning & Development Department is seeking applicants for the position of Plans Examiner. The position serves as a vital component of the Building and Planning Divisions and works closely with Building Inspectors, Permit Technicians, the Principal Planner and other City Departments such as Public Works and the Clayton Fire Department, to ensure compliance with adopted codes and municipal regulations.
The City of Clayton is proud to provide world class service levels to a community which values the contributions of the professional team. Comprised of approximately 185 full-time and over 200 part-time and seasonal employees, the average full-time employee tenure is over ten years!
Work of the Plans Examiner includes, but is not limited to:
- Perform professional and technical plan review of residential, multi-family dwelling, commercial building, and other major structures for structural soundness and conformity with pertinent, building and safety codes, ordinances and regulations, plumbing, mechanical, fire and life safety, and municipal codes. Explains, interprets and provides guidance regarding applicable codes to architects, engineers, contractors, developers, owners and other interested parties.
- Communicates and assists with permit applicants on the overall permitting process and provides insights on areas in which services and efficiencies within the Planning & Development Department can be improved.
- Actively participates in training and continuing education opportunities to expand knowledge of the latest code developments and the most recent trends in construction methods, materials and equipment.
- Builds in awareness of the importance of the applicable codes and their impact and value on the community.
Minimum Qualifications of the Permit Technician Position:
- Post high school education in the field of architectural or engineering studies, construction management or a building trades program.
- Possess a technical knowledge of the ICC family of codes. (Preferably the 2015 or later code cycles).
- Possess a level of competence and comfort with varied computer programs and applications with a preference for prior experience with government permitting software and Bluebeam.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years Plans Examiner experience, or seven (7) years as a building inspector, five (5) years as a licensed architect or engineer, or even seven (7) years construction experience, or any education/experience combination thereof.
The City of Clayton offers a generous benefit package for full-time employees including health, dental, vision, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, voluntary life insurance plans, a retirement pension, a 457(b) retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance program, free recreation center membership, 10 paid holiday, 2 personal holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave, community service leave, and much more!
The City of Clayton’s Planning & Development Department’s mission is “to assist Clayton in achieving its vision for the future by providing knowledgeable, professional and responsive service.” The Department is divided into two interrelated divisions: Planning & Zoning and Building. The Planning & Zoning Division is primarily responsible for providing professional planning and zoning related services in order to ensure the City remains a sustainable, well-designed and prosperous community within a business-friendly environment. The Building Division is primarily responsible for ensuring structures are built and maintained in conformance with building codes, approved plans and permits, and are safe for occupancy. The duties of each division overlap and often reflect different stages in an overall development process.
The City of Clayton is proud to provide world class service to a community which values the contributions of the professional team. Comprised of approximately 185 full-time and over 200 part-time and seasonal employees, the average full-time employee tenure is over ten years!
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Successful candidates for the position will be required to successfully complete additional screening including, but not limited to the following: Background investigation, driver license check, employment and reference checks, pre-employment physical and drug screening. Full Job Description