Job Opportunity – BUILDING SAFETY INSPECTOR | Champaign, Illinois
BUILDING SAFETY INSPECTOR (Union Position)
The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a
Building Safety Inspector in the Building Safety Division of the Champaign Fire
Responsibilities of Position
This position conducts skilled inspections of buildings under construction to
determine and secure compliance with municipal building codes. Responsibilities
include, but are not limited to: pre-inspection review of construction plans and
specifications; plan review and permit processing of one and two-family dwelling
projects; conducting inspections of new and existing commercial and residential
structures to determine compliance with the International Building and International
Residential codes; and review and preparation of code documents and materials.
This position also maintains a daily inspection log and prepares reports, and communicates with contractors and the public in an effective and courteous manner.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Considerable experience in the building trades or building inspection field.
• Or an equivalent combination of work experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Knowledge of building codes.
• Knowledge of modern construction methods, materials, and techniques.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and apply construction plans and specifications.
• Good customer service skills.
• Ability to communicate with contractors and the general public.
• Possession of, or the ability to obtain within one year of employment and maintain, Residential and Commercial Building Inspector certification from the International Code Council.
• Valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
• College degree in building construction, design, or related field.
• Experience with permitting software, such as TRAKiT.
• Experience maintaining an electronic calendar.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The annual starting salary is $33.44 per hour, plus an excellent fringe benefits package.
Applications must be submitted online no later than Sunday, June 16, 2019.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal
Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
To apply, visit the City’s Jobs Page at http://www.champaignil.gov/jobs
The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The following locations offer free Internet access and assistance: Champaign Public Library and the Illinois WorkNet Center.