Job Opportunity – Fire Prevention Specialist | City of Kirkwood, MO
JOB OPENING || CITY OF KIRKWOOD
FIRE PREVENTION SPECIALIST (CIVILIAN POSITION), FULL-TIME
- Delegates and assigns inspections and fire prevention activities to the assigned personnel.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates programs, policies, and procedures for the Fire Prevention Bureau operations to include:
- Public education, pre-fire planning, training, inspections, code enforcement, construction plan review, suppression and alarm system acceptance testing, water supply, fire investigation, and hazardous material regulation.
- Conducts inspections and re-inspections of commercial, industrial, multi-family residential, public, and institutional buildings:
- Checks for compliance with municipal, state, and federal fire codes, ordinances, and statutes relating to fire hazards and fire protection equipment;
- Re-inspects to ensure violations are corrected.
- Reviews blueprints of new building construction, additions, and remodeling to existing buildings; participates in team field inspections for items related to fire safety.
- Attends conferences and meetings to keep abreast of current trends in the field. Represents the Fire Department in a variety of local, county, state, and other meetings.
- High School graduate or equivalent plus formal training courses in fire prevention and related subjects.
- One to three years of experience in the field of fire service, construction, or related fields OR an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Successful completion of International Fire Code Certifications
- Proven exceptional customer service skills, including ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and tactfully, both orally and in writing, with the general public and City staff.
- Required: Missouri Certified Fire Inspector. Preferred: Missouri Certified Fire Investigator.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local statutes for fire prevention, fire protection, and life safety.
SALARY: $54,059 – $59,467 per year plus excellent benefits. Position is open until filled.
*PLEASE ATTACH REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS WHEN SUBMITTING APPLICATION*
To apply: Complete the electronic employment application located on the City website under “Employment.” OR: A paper application can be picked up at Kirkwood City Hall, 139 South Kirkwood Road, 63122 OR: call 314-984-6975 to have one e-mailed, mailed, or faxed to you. Return paper applications to: City of Kirkwood, Attn: Human Resources-Fire, at the address listed above.
PERSONS REQUIRING AN ACCOMMODATION TO APPLY FOR A JOB OPENING SHOULD CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES AT 314-822-5809.
THE CITY OF KIRKWOOD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.