Job Title Part-time Code Enforcement Officer(s)-(Inspector 1)
Department Building and Code Enforcement Division
Posting Date 03/10/2016
Closing Date 03/26/2016
Starting Salary Grade 14, Step 1 $20.30 per hour
This part-time position is responsible for the enforcement of city codes and ordinances and to maintain compliance with City codes/ordinances and to address citizen concerns relating to public nuisance and zoning related issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Conducts and coordinates all code enforcement activity, addressing public nuisance violations (recorded through both field observation and citizen/council member complaint). Provides all
necessary follow-up including appearance in Municipal Court for unresolved violations.
- Maintains compliance with the ordinances relating to derelict cars, grass and weed control, rubbish control, signs, fences and zoning with regard to proper placement/installation and maintenance
- Conducts on-site inspections of existing institutional, industrial, commercial and residential properties to verify compliance with city ordinances and property maintenance standards.
- Inspects existing structures for health and life safety minimum standards.
- Assists external and internal customers, city residents, , and others in the interpretation and application of relevant codes and ordinances.
- Conducts field investigations; inspects properties for violations; contacts property owner to resolve violations; issues and posts warning notices; schedules and performs follow-up
activities to gain compliance.
- Receives and responds to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments regarding alleged violations; interviews complainant and witnesses; conducts investigations
and provides recommendations for resolutions
- Conducts enforcement of illegal signage that is placed in the City on the weekends.
- Locates vacant residencies and businesses; secures buildings with proper materials; posts property as appropriate; checks vacant buildings for transient activity, graffiti, and vandalism; researches bank ownership.
- Patrols assigned areas to identify and evaluate ordinance violations.
- Prepares a variety of written reports, memoranda and
- Prepares evidence in support of legal action taken by the city; appears and testifies in court as needed.
- Performs related duties.
Additional Knowledge Required
- Knowledge of relevant zoning, nuisance abatement, property maintenance, building, and health and safety codes.
- Knowledge of municipal code enforcement principles and practices.
- Knowledge of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Minimum Education, Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/ internship or having had
a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Missouri for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain the appropriate state certification for the type of inspection(s) conducted including Property Maintenance Inspectors Certificate.
- Knowledge and level of competency related to Microsoft office programs, database entry and mobile devices.
- Ability to obtain Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) clearance through local jurisdiction.
Online employment applications can be accessed on the City Website at www.ofallon.mo.us/hr.
The City of O’Fallon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify