ST. CHARLES COUNTY COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
BUILDING AND CODE DIVISION
Starting Salary: $39,076.13 per year
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position which includes a full range of benefits including Paid Time Off, Extended Medical Leave, Holidays, Employee health, dental, life, disability, retirement and tuition assistance programs.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this position is to inspect residential building projects for compliance with applicable codes. The work is performed under the supervision of the Inspection Manager.
- Inspects buildings under construction or remodeling for plumbing, electrical, mechanical, sewage and structural code compliance. Inspects buildings damaged in disasters for safety.
- Consults with and provides information to developers, builders and the general public regarding code requirements.
- Issues stop work orders for unauthorized construction.
- Examines building plans and specifications for code compliance.
- Writes inspection reports and related documents to comply with department policies and reporting requirements. Approves or disapproves inspections. Inputs inspection data on device.
- Discusses building deficiencies with permit applicants and approves alternative methods if applicable.
- Investigates building activity complaints.
- Maintains knowledge of current ICC and NEC codes, applicable ordinances and construction principles.
- Performs damage assessment of building structures after disasters.
- Ensures storm water pollution prevention plans (SWPPP) are
adhered to on construction sites.
- Maintains vehicle, tools, and equipment.
- Attends training seminars. Takes professional certification courses to improve knowledge and skills.
- Investigates code enforcement complaints as directed.
- Conduct plan reviews as needed.
- Performs private sewage disposal inspections and related work as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent, vocational/technical training in building technology, engineering, construction or related field; a minimum of one-year experience in construction, code enforcement or a related field; or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Current ICC Residential Combination Inspector certification or become certified within one year of employment.
- A valid motor vehicle operator’s license required.
- Employment is contingent on successfully passing a full criminal background check.
TO APPLY: All applications must be submitted only through our Self-Service Website at http://hr.sccmo.org/hr. We do not accept faxed, e-mailed or print applications. For your convenience, if needed, terminals are available on site at the HR Dept., 201 N. Second St., Room 522, St. Charles, MO 63301 Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until the positions are filled or a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied.
St. Charles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. St. Charles County is a drug and alcohol-free work place. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions.