Job Opportunity | PLANS REVIEWER | City of Champaign IL
PLANS REVIEWER (Union Position)
The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a Plans Reviewer in the Building Safety Division of the Champaign Fire Department.
Responsibilities of Position
This position conducts skilled field and office plan review and inspections of new and
existing buildings for compliance with City building and related codes. Responsibilities
include but are not limited to: meeting with architects, engineers, and contractors to
obtain Code compliance; conferring and coordinating plan information with inspectors
during planning and construction; tracking City-wide plan review status; conducting site
inspections with inspectors for the purpose of clarification; and working with the Building
Safety Supervisor to support the Code Review and Appeals Board.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five years’ experience in building trades or conducting inspections Or an equivalent combination of work experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Thorough knowledge of construction techniques, buildings, and building sub-systems.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply building codes and other technical standards.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain within one year of employment and maintain certification as a Building Plans Examiner from the International Code Council.
- Ability to perform the duties of the job, including bending, crawling, stooping,
and climbing a ladder, with or without accommodation.
- Valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in building construction, design, or related field.
- Experience with permitting, code enforcement, work order, or project management software, such as TRAKiT.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The starting salary is
$35.85 per hour, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications must be submitted online no later than Sunday, January 26, 2020.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community.
The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
To apply, visit the City’s Jobs Page at champaignil.gov/jobs. The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The following locations offer free Internet access and assistance: Champaign Public Library and the Illinois WorkNet Center.