Job Opportunity | Fire Code Officer | St. Charles City MO
Position opening has been extended
Job Title Fire Code Officer
Department Community Development
Posting Date February 28, 2020
Closing Date for Resumes/Applications March 31, 2020
Salary Range $50,156.22 – $70,218.70
Benefits Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance; FSA;
Retirement Benefits; Paid Vacation; Paid Holidays; Employee Assistance Programs and Educational Benefits.
Status Full time
The City of Saint Charles Community Development Department is currently recruiting for the position of Fire
Code Officer. The purpose of this position is to plan and coordinate Department fire prevention, public education,
administrative and operational (fire suppression, inspection and investigation) tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responds to incidents involving the production of clandestine drugs.
- Recommends and develops proposed Department fire prevention policies, procedures, and codes.
- Reviews plans for commercial buildings and fire protection systems for compliance with existing regulations and mandates. Conducts occupancy inspections. Certifies fire equipment for code compliance.
- Interprets fire codes for department personnel.
- Conducts fire safety inspections.
- Attends local and regional meetings of building code officials and fire marshals.
- Receives complaints and provides information to the public regarding the general Department, fire prevention and code compliance activities.
- Assists and consults with Building Inspectors and developers as needed regarding fire code compliance.
- Cooperates with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies where activities of the Community Development Department are involved.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of fire code regulations.
- Inspects and tests fire suppression (sprinkler) systems for compliance with fire and/or building codes.
- Reviews site plans for new development to insure compliance with the fire code, including but not limited to street and drive aisle widths, fire truck access to buildings and turning radii for firefighting equipment.
- Inspects fireworks stands for compliance with all applicable fire codes.
- Inspects tents for compliance with all applicable fire codes.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Vocational or technical training in fire codes, building codes, zoning codes, property maintenance enforcement, building inspections, building trades or related areas.
- Three years of general building construction or related experience in fire prevention and regulation.
- Fire inspection and plan review experience preferred.
- ICC Fire Inspector I certification required within 6 months of hire date.
- ICC Fire Inspector II certification required within 12 months of hire date.
- ICC Fire Plans Examiner certification required within 12 months of hire date.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A valid driver’s license required.
How to Apply:
Online employment applications can be accessed on our City Website: www.stcharlescitymo.gov
The City of Saint Charles is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify