Job Opportunity – Deputy Fire Marshal | Champaign, Illinois
DEPUTY FIRE MARSHAL
The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a
Deputy Fire Marshal in the Life Safety Division of the Fire Department.
Responsibilities of Position
This position performs fire code compliance work by enforcing codes pertaining to fire prevention and life safety issues in the areas of building construction, fire hydrant capabilities, and placement, and the requirements and design of fire suppression and alarm systems. Investigates and inspects commercial, industrial, multi-family, and state-owned properties on the University of Illinois campus and in the City of Champaign. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: code enforcement, fire prevention, investigations, and public education. Fire investigator duties may require responding outside of normal work hours.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Ability to read, understand, and interpret fire and life safety codes.
• Effective oral and written communication.
• Valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
• Physical condition necessary to perform job duties, including standing and walking for long periods of time, climbing, crawling, stooping, kneeling, and lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs., with or without accommodation.
• Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
• Possession of or the ability to obtain within two years of employment
International Code Council (ICC) or National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA) Fire Inspector certification.
• Possession of or the ability to obtain within one year of employment State of Illinois Fire and/or Arson Investigator certification.
• Degree work in a related management or technical field, such as Fire
Service, Emergency Management, Law Enforcement, Construction, etc.
• Experience as a code-related inspector.
• Experience with National Fire Protection Association standards.
• Experience as a fire or arson investigator in the field.
• Fire service experience.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The starting salary is $33.61 per hour, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including cover letter and resume, must be submitted online no later than Sunday, July 21, 2019.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal
Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
To apply, visit the City’s Jobs Page at champaignil.gov/jobs.
The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The following locations offer free Internet access and assistance: Champaign Public Library and the Illinois WorkNet Center.