Job Opportunity – Fire Educator-Inspector | City of O’Fallon, IL
SALARY: $17.59 – $29.04 Hourly
$36,587.20 – $60,403.20 Annually
OPENING DATE: 03/18/19
CLOSING DATE: 04/07/19 11:59 PM
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of O’Fallon seeks an enthusiastic individual who is motivated, enjoys working with the public and understands life and fire safety requirements. This fire safety inspection and education position working mostly in the field and reports directly to the Deputy Fire Chief, works with Fire Department administrative staff and City of O’Fallon Code Enforcement. NOTE: This position does not perform firefighting duties.
New hire range: $17.59 to $19.79/hour – placed depending upon qualifications plus a generous benefits package including paid time off and IMRF defined pension.
Duties include (but are not limited to): fire safety education visits to commercial
occupancies that are not currently addressed under other inspection programs; conduct
plan reviews and acceptance tests for fire related systems in commercial buildings (i.e.
sprinkler systems, fire alarms, commercial kitchen hoods); coordination with building
owners and business tenants; schedule and conduct training for local businesses and
community organizations of fire and life safety hazards; gathering pre-fire plan data on
structures; verification of operational fire and life safety components of the
structures; educate building occupants of required corrective action; schedule and
conduct school life safety inspections; verification of knox box key program components;
other duties within the scope of the position as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent AND minimum of five years experience in related
- Preference may be given to those with prior Fire service experience;
- Preference may be given to candidates with Nationally recognized Fire Inspector
certification – candidate must have at least the ability to obtain this;
- Proficient knowledge of NFPA 101 Life Safety Code and related fire safety codes;
- Currently hold or must be able to obtain Public School Inspector Certification from
the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshall (OSFM)
- Capacity to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers
and the general public;
- Ability to accomplish requirements using applicable field tools & equipment and
general office equipment;
- Proficiency in utilizing software such as word processing, spreadsheet/ database
management applications (i.e. – Microsoft applications)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Aptitude to analyze information and statistics to solve problems through deductive
and inductive reasoning;
- Competency to work independently on complex and confidential assignments
without detailed instructions;
- Comprehend and make inferences from written materials including understand,
interpret, explain and apply relevant policies, procedures and regulations;
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and work in a team environment;
- Valid Illinois driver’s license in good standing;
- Regular and predictable attendance.
In addition to submitting a complete application:
-Upload a copy of your resume
-Upload a cover letter outlining your interest in the position
-Upload any applicable certifications or training you wish to have considered.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
255 South Lincoln Ave.,
O’Fallon, IL 62269
618-624-4500, ext 8740
Fire Educator-Inspector Supplemental Questionnaire (Required)
1. Describe any special abilities or skills that you possess that would be beneficial to the
2. What is your current rate of pay?