Planning and Development
Hiring Range: $46,837.74 to $57,522.57 (Depending on Qualifications) Pay Grade: 13/16
This is a full-time, benefit-eligible position offering a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and employee health, dental, life, vision, disability, and retirement insurance programs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties, responsibilities and expectations are not necessarily limited to the following, and are not enumerated in any particular order or priority. At any particular time the frequency or duration with which one or more of the following specific duties is performed may vary widely.
- Conducts on-site inspections of new institutional, industrial, commercial and residential construction projects to verify compliance with building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, zoning, and engineering codes, as well as with city ordinances and property maintenance standards
- Inspects existing properties for rental occupancies and new business licenses
- Inspects existing structures for health and life safety minimum standards
- Assists external and internal customers, city residents, architects, engineers and others in the interpretation and application of relevant codes and ordinances
- Conducts field investigations; inspects properties for violations; contacts property owner to resolve violations; issues and posts warning notices; schedules and performs follow-up activities to gain compliance.
- Receives and responds to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments regarding alleged violations; interviews complainant and witnesses; conducts investigations and provides recommendations for resolutions.
- Provides proactive code enforcement by patrolling assigned areas to identify and evaluate ordinance violations.
- Performs related duties as assigned
Complexity and Scope of Work
- The work consists of varied inspection and code enforcement duties. Strict regulations and strict deadlines contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to complete inspections to ensure compliance with relevant codes and ordinances. Success in this position contributes to the provision of a safe and healthy environment for the general public.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, property owners, business owners, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
- International Code Council Building Codes
- National Electric Code
- ADA guidelines
- City Ordinances and zoning regulations
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of relevant building, mechanical, plumbing, residential fuel gas, electric, and energy conservation codes
- Knowledge of building construction practices and terminology
- Knowledge of relevant zoning, nuisance abatement, property maintenance, building, and health and safety codes
- Knowledge of municipal code enforcement principles and practices
- Knowledge of computers and job related software program.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
- Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos
- Ability to write complex, and technical correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations to the general public and fellow employees
- Must possess a pleasant personal demeanor and courtesy in receptionist duties
Minimum Requirements – Education, Certification, and Experience
- Graduation from a general or technical high school
- Considerable experience in construction or building inspection work
Preferred Qualifications – Education, Certification, and Experience
- College level course work in building inspections
- Associates degree or equivalent experience in the construction industry
- ICC certified Residential Building Inspector
- ICC Certified Commercial Building Inspector.
- 3-5 years’ experience in conducting building inspections and code enforcement
Physical Work Demands
- Work is typically performed indoors at a desk or table with intermittent sitting, standing and stooping
- Must lift light object (less than 25 pounds) occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects as a requirement of the job
- The employee climbs ladders
- Some outdoor work involved as related to inspections
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Complete a City of Brentwood employment application. The application is available online at http://www.brentwoodmo.org/jobs.aspx. Application materials must be received by Friday, November 2nd, 2018 to receive priority consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
The City of Brentwood is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. The City of Brentwood is a drug and alcohol-free workplace. A pre-employment drug screen and background check is required for all positions. Additional pre-employment testing may be required for certain positions.
It is the policy of the City of Brentwood not to discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, religion, sex or disability except where specific requirements constitute a bona fide occupational qualification.