CITY OF CREVE COEUR
TITLE: Commercial Building Inspector
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $50,724-$70,980 (DOQ)
STATUS: Non-Exempt, 3-Year Term
DEPARTMENT / DIVISION: Community Development Department / Building Division
SUPERVISOR: Chief Building Official
The City of Creve Coeur Building Division is seeking a Commercial Building Inspector who possesses the ability to perform commercial and residential building inspections. This is a full-time, benefit-eligible position offering a competitive benefits package which includes a defined benefit retirement plan with Missouri Local Government Employee Retirement System (LAGERS). This position is term-limited to three (3) years; however, it could transition to permanent full-time status with anticipated employee retirements in the foreseeable future.
The successful candidate will inspect commercial and residential construction sites, respond to complaints from the public, enforce zoning ordinances, maintain accurate records, compile reports and provide proper notification for unauthorized construction in order to ensure that all construction and zoning activities are in compliance with City ordinances for the City of Creve Coeur.
- Inspects construction sites and apartment dwelling units for compliance with the building code; inspects electrical, plumbing, mechanical work as they relate to the building code; drives to sites; and measures structural components, inspects fire resistance rated construction, inspects all aspects of the means of egress, etc. to ensure compliance with city-approved plans and building code requirements in order to ensure safe and lawful construction for the City of Creve Coeur.
- Responds to building code complaints from the general public; investigates complaints; sends violation notices as needed; and informs complainants of action being taken in order to prevent building code violations for the City of Creve Coeur. Provides proper notification for unauthorized construction work by posting a stop work order where the unauthorized work is taking place. Ensures said property owner obtains the necessary permits in order to gain compliance with the building and zoning codes of the City of Creve Coeur.
- Confers with property owners, contractors, architects, engineers and the general public in the field and office; explain and interpret building code requirements and restrictions.
- Inspects existing buildings and premises for change of use, occupancy, or compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Demonstrates a commitment to his/her public duty and presents oneself as a credible and knowledgeable representative of the city to maintain public trust by following the principals of “Our Commitments to Character-Driven Professionalism”; builds and maintains positive relationships while serving all internal and external customers using effective communication and teambuilding skills; seeks to actively listen and provides prompt assistance to others; equally treats others with dignity and respect; problem-solves; accepts responsibility for self and work product.
The successful candidate must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, Commercial Building Inspector Certification from the International Code Council and three or more years of increasingly responsible equivalent or related experience. Bachelor degree in construction technology, architectural drafting or related field preferred. A valid driver license, proof of current vehicle insurance and reliable vehicle transportation is required. Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others. Can effectively organize and prioritize work. Communicates clearly both verbally and in writing. Able to work independently. Remains calm when dealing with disgruntled developers and residents. Uses information to solve problems and make effective decisions. Can concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously. Able to work outside in varying weather conditions. Able to drive to different construction sites. Able to walk, stoop, bend and climb as needed to survey sites. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision and ability to focus.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, references and completed application to Sharon Stott, Assistant City Administrator, City of Creve Coeur, 300 N. New Ballas Rd., Creve Coeur, MO 63141. Application are available online or can be downloaded from the City website at www.creve-coeur.org/jobs. First review of applications begins August 31, 2018 and continues until filled.