Job Title: Building Inspector
Opening Date: Thursday, September 28, 2017
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Status: Regular, Hourly
Pay Range: Grade 6 – $19.03–$25.24/hour
To ensure enforcement of municipal ordinances and codes pertaining to certain aspects of the regulations of building construction and the zoning of land.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews permit applications, permit fees, and related drawings for compliance with adopted regulations and standards.
- Enforces the Dangerous Building Ordinance and makes recommendation to Dangerous Building Commissioner.
- Proposes revisions to the city building ordinances and codes.
- Maintains, updates, and creates new construction guidelines based on current adopted codes and ordinances, to provide to general contractors and the general public.
- Reviews and offers corrections to construction and remodel plans.
- Performs routine building inspections, documenting and filing the findings, verifying that the structures meet the acceptable, approved standards and guidelines.
- Issues citations related to violations of the building codes and related regulations.
- Assists the Community Development Department in enforcement of related zoning violations and design standards.
- Renders interpretations and determinations concerning the adopted building codes of the City.
- Deals effectively and courteously with fellow employees and the general public.
- Represents the City in public hearings, meetings and legal actions involving violation status and compliance proceedings and activities.
- Corresponds with responsible parties, complainants and property owners via certified mail, telephone and in person. Posts properties or structures in violation with orders, abatement or enjoinment notices, and other legal notices regarding pending litigation.
- Pursue the fulfillment of the City’s Vision statement, the accomplishment of the City’s Mission, and exemplify the City’s core Values.
- Maintains appropriate supplies for assigned area.
- Maintains a neat and orderly work area.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Community Development Director.
Education and Experience:
- High School degree or equivalent required.
- International Code Council certification as a combination residential and commercial inspector preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in building or construction inspections or related field preferred.
- Must be able to obtain Residential and Commercial Combination Inspector certification within two years from date of hire.
- Must possess a valid Missouri State Driver’s License.
Applicant must successfully complete background investigation and pre-employment substance abuse testing and may be subject to random substance abuse testing.
Application and complete job description available at www.republicmo.com. Application must be completed and submitted to City Hall, 213 N. Main, Republic, MO 65738, by deadline.
Current city employees must complete application for consideration.