Job Opportunity – Building Official | Brentwood, MO
Position Title: Building Official
Department: Planning and Development
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Planning and Development
Under the direction of or as authorized by the Director of Planning & Development, performs administrative and responsible technical work in enforcing building and zoning ordinances, and conducting plan review and inspections.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties, responsibilities and expectations are not necessarily limited to the following, and are not enumerated in any particular order or priority. At any particular time the frequency or duration with which one or more of the following specific duties is performed may vary widely.
- Applies specialized knowledge in the enforcement of numerous municipal ordinances pertaining to zoning, building, plumbing mechanical, electrical and fire codes, fences, residential and commercial building and site exteriors, signage, grading and land disturbance permits, facilities permits, occupancy permits, special use permits and other regulatory systems of the Brentwood Municipal Code or other codes, regulations and provisions; floor plain administration and permitting
- Oversees the inspections of commercial, industrial and other buildings for compliance with fire prevention codes and ordinances
- Working cooperatively with the Brentwood Fire Department, inspects commercial, industrial and other buildings for compliance with fire prevention codes and ordinances.
- Assists the Director on matters related to code enforcement and interpretation, application and promulgation of applicable codes, regulations and provisions.
- Reviews residential, commercial and industrial plans for compliance with building and fire protections codes and coordinates zoning code compliance with Director. Approves all permits; conducts and oversees the inspection of permits and construction work to assure compliance with approved plans and issue violation or stop work notices when necessary.
- Serves as liaison to the Architectural Review Board (ARB), prepares all materials for meeting packets and prepares meeting minutes; ensures meetings information is property posted and placed on City website; maintains ARB records. Attends Municipal Court as needed for matters related to code enforcement. Attends other board or commission meetings as required by Director
- Receives permit applications and issues permits after ensuring that applications are complete and in compliance; performs inspections as required to ensure compliance with building and zoning codes, and approved site plans
- Investigates complaints of possible building and zoning violations; takes appropriate enforcement action; prepares correspondence pertaining to applications, complaints and non-compliance; and issues notices for corrections of deficiencies.
- Reviews plans and specifications for public works projects, and performs project management duties as requested.
- Meets with residents, businesses, property owners and managers, developers, architects, engineers, contractors, and public agency officials to advise them on building regulations and other ordinances and laws, and to resolve problems and conflicts
- Serves as the City’s Floodplain Administrator by administering, implementing and overseeing provisions of the Flood Hazard Control Ordinance, and reviews and issues floodplain development permits
- Prepares and maintains all necessary records, reports, and documents submitted to or generated by building officials in a manner so as to be readily retrieved and referenced as required.
- Works cooperatively with Brentwood Fire Department to test of fire hydrants and water supplies
- Works with computer hardware and software to perform necessary job functions
- Assists with or coordinates special projects as required.
- Performs related work as required
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of modern building construction principles, practices, methods and techniques
- Considerable knowledge of the regulatory and enforcement provisions of the Brentwood Municipal Code and accepted professional and trade practices.
- Working knowledge of the International Building and Residential Codes and other codes and regulations adopted thereby.
- Knowledge of the legal procedures utilized in the enforcement of the City’s building, fire and zoning codes.
- Ability to read blueprints, construction plans, and other technical drawings
- Ability to locate and detect defects encountered through regulatory inspections.
- Ability to objectively enforce regulations with consistency, firmness, impartiality and tact
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with developers, property owners, contractors, engineers, architects, city employees, and the general public
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form
Minimum Requirements – Education, Certification, and Experience
- Graduation from a general or technical high school
- Completion of two years college level course work in architecture, civil engineering, or a related field
- Considerable, progressively responsible building codes, construction and regulatory inspection experience
- Possess Plans Examiner certification and at least two inspection certifications
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an all-inclusive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for the position.
Please complete an application and submit to the Human Resources Department by close of business, June 23, 2017. Applications may be found at our Website: www.brentwoodmo.org or by contacting the Human Resources Department directly at 2348 S. Brentwood Blvd., Brentwood, MO 63144.