Job Opportunity – Part Time Code Enforcement Officer | City of O’Fallon, Missouri
This position is responsible for the enforcement of city codes and ordinances and to maintain compliance with City codes/ordinances and to address citizen concerns relating to public nuisance and zoning related issues.
• Conducts and coordinates all code enforcement activity, addressing public nuisance violations (recorded through both field observation and citizen/council member complaint). Provides all necessary follow-up including appearance in Municipal Court for unresolved violations.
• Maintains compliance with the ordinances relating to derelict cars, grass and weed control, rubbish control, signs, fences and zoning with regard to proper placement/installation and maintenance
• Conducts on-site inspections of existing institutional, industrial, commercial and residential properties to verify compliance with city ordinances and property maintenance standards.
• Inspects existing structures for health and life safety minimum standards.
• Assists external and internal customers, city residents, , and others in the interpretation and application of relevant codes and ordinances.
• Conducts field investigations; inspects properties for violations; contacts property owner to resolve violations; issues and posts warning notices; schedules and performs follow-up activities to gain compliance.
• Receives and responds to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments regarding alleged violations; interviews complainant and witnesses; conducts investigations and provides recommendations for resolutions.
• Conducts enforcement of illegal signage that is placed in the City on the weekends.
• Locates vacant residencies and businesses; secures buildings with proper materials; posts property as appropriate; checks vacant buildings for transient activity, graffiti, and vandalism; researches bank ownership.
• Patrols assigned areas to identify and evaluate ordinance violations.
• Prepares a variety of written reports, memoranda and
• Prepares evidence in support of legal action taken by the city; appears and testifies in court as needed.
• Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of relevant zoning, nuisance abatement, property maintenance, building, and health and safety codes.
• Knowledge of municipal code enforcement principles and practices.
• Knowledge of computers and job related software programs.
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
• Skill in the preparation of clear and precise administrative reports.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/ internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Missouri for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain the appropriate state certification for the type of inspection(s) conducted including Property Maintenance Inspectors Certificate.
• Knowledge and level of competency related to Microsoft office programs, database entry and mobile devices.
• Ability to obtain Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) clearance through local jurisdiction.